Past Dic 15th and 16th I attend the 3rd Backbone Conference in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
I'm a Drupal Backend Developer, so my experience in Front End is limited to small pets projects I have been working just for fun like http://github.com/enzolutions/generator-marionette-drupal.
To be honest Backend Developers speaking generally, we underestimate the work of Front End Developers do.
Even I have been playing with Backbone for last 10 months I didn't have huge expectations about this conference, but eager to get new knowledge. In general I had the idea people will present tons of plugins for instance jQuery plugins.
But I'm glad to say I was totally wrong, after 5 minutes of the first conference I was totally lost between patterns and architecture decision inside the framework.
In general I notice jQuery is a set of tools two generations behind of current implementations.
Also I love how open the community is, because they had conferences talking from Wordpress to competitors like AmpersanJS and others.
All lectures are available in video here.
These are my favorites.
- Jasmine Testing for Backbone js Models and Views
- Building Offline First Applications with Backbone
- Marionette The Backbone Framework
- A Visit to the World of Responsive Real time
- The Backbone Tango Dancing with Geographical Data
- Web Components and Backbone
- Backbone in XBox and Windows Apps
- Backbone under the Magnifying Glass Tools for Exploring and Debugging Your Apps
- Teaching Backbone and other cool technologies
So what is the next for me, well I will try to continue trying to learn more about Front End libraries and frameworks but now I will see with the respect they deserve.